CUSTOM BLOGGER SITE BY LISA B »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Tradition

It seems that every child wants their parent(s) to bring something back to them when they go out of town. Just to know that they weren't forgotten.

As I was growing up, my parents did not go out of town a lot but when they did I always looked forward to receiving something when they got back. When my parents did go out of town, it was usually for a business trip for my dad, so they did not generally bring us souvenirs. I am not sure how the tradition with my mother started, but she started bringing me the shampoo and soaps from the hotels that she stayed at. I think I was bummed that she did not bring me something at one point and I told her that it could be as simple as the soap from her hotel room, that it did not have to cost any money, I just wanted to know she was thinking of me. (correct me mom if I am wrong... :) )

It meant SO much to me growing up, just knowing that she thought of me on the trip and brought me something as simple as soap to remind me that she did think about me. It is a tradition that I hope never dies. :) My parents went to Wyoming not too long ago, and my mom did not forget our tradition! (In fact, I don't think she has EVER forgotten!)



Charlene has always had such a tender spirit and I realized how much the "soap" tradition meant to me when I went to Bear Lake. While I was there I talked with Charlene on the phone and she asked me in such a sweet way if I would bring her a rock. (I am guessing that just like me when I was little, she did not want to cost her mom any money) I said that I would and she asked me if I would please bring her two rocks. :)

When Daniel and I went and took pictures of the route we ran, I picked two rocks to bring back to her. She was so happy that I remembered her on my trip and was able to bring her back something. When Daniel took me out in the canoe on our fishing trip last week, we went over a shallow part of the lake. He reached over and pulled out two rocks from the bottom of the lake to give to Charlene (pictured below). Charlene was so happy that we remembered her on our trip! Although the tradition is slightly different, it will be fun to pass this tradition that meant so much to me growing up to my daughter whom I love very much!


1 people care about this post, besides me! :):

Shannon said...

That is really sweet! When I read this I was thinking of my little Brooklyn and how those types of things mean the WORLD to her. I am always on the lookout for anything that will help her feel special. You are a great mom for realizing that!